Business meals are defined as meals taken with students, donors, colleagues, or individuals from companies during which specific University business discussions take place.
What is the allowable level of expense?
- Actual expenses
How do I make my travel arrangements?
- Not Applicable
How do I pay for the travel expense?
- Credit card or cash
What level of audit will my Account Reviewer provide?
- Must be charged to an unallowable sub account 30XX. Refer to Financial Policy 2013 for additional information on the treatment of Unallowable Costs.
- Required information detailing specific business purpose and attendees
What documentation do I need to be reimbursed?
- Receipt(s) are required in all cases regardless of dollar amount. Please refer to the University's Supporting Documentation Standards for receipt requirements.
- Receipt(s) must include date, name and location of restaurant and amount of expense (5-Citation/regulation IRS Regulation 463, "How to Prove Expenses"). Detailed receipts are preferred.
The submitted expense report must include:
- Specific Business purpose of the meal
Names and business relationship of the individuals attending:
- If an individual is not a University employee, the name of the company or institution that the individual represents must be provided.
- If more than 10 people attend, they may be identified as a single body.
- Business Meals are not to be charged to a grant or contract unless the terms specifically allow it: Sponsored Awards must approve and activate the sub account before you may charge a grant or contract. Detailed receipts are required for all Business Meals charged to a Federal grant or contract.