Insurance for Business Travel

The University of Chicago Group Travel Accident Insurance Program is designed to provide insurance to University faculty and staff members while traveling on University business outside the city, anywhere in the world. The University pays the full cost for this insurance.

In addition, the University contracts with a company to provide necessary emergency services such as, physician referral and medical evacuation, throughout the world. Coverage is available to benefit eligible employees. Contact the University Benefits Office for additional information on Travel Accident Insurance.

Use of Personal Vehicle for University Business

Travel by personal automobile will be reimbursed at the mileage rate published periodically by Financial Services. The mileage allowance is considered sufficient to cover all operating costs of the personal automobile including insurance.

No reimbursement is allowed for the cost of repairs for mechanical breakdown, collision or other physical damage regardless of whether the damage resulted from the traveler’s acts or the actions of others.

Tolls and reasonable parking charges will be reimbursed in addition to the mileage allowance.

Parking tickets and traffic fines will not be reimbursed.

The State of Illinois requires automobile insurance. The University strongly recommends that you maintain automobile liability and physical damage insurance with the following minimum limits:

  • Automobile Liability $100,000 per person per accident
  • Bodily Injury $300,000 aggregate per accident
  • Property Damage $ 50,000 per accident
  • Automobile Medical Payments $ 1,000 per person
  • Automobile Physical Damage Optional

If you are involved in an automobile accident while driving on University business, you should report the accident to the Risk Management Department as soon as possible at (773) 702-1951.

Travelers who choose to use their own automobiles on a trip where air travel is more appropriate will be reimbursed for the actual miles driven. The total reimbursable amount cannot exceed the coach air fare to the destination plus airport transportation costs.

Loss or Damage to Personal Property/Effects

The University is not responsible for loss of or damage to luggage or other personal effects during travel. If such damage or loss occurs, travelers should seek reimbursement through their own insurance or attempt to recover directly from the party responsible, such as an airline.

Loss or Damage to University Property

Individuals who will be traveling with University property should contact the Risk Management Department to discuss insurance requirements.

The University will not reimburse for the extra cost of coverage for CDW on domestic car rentals.

The University will reimburse for the extra cost of coverage for CDW on foreign car rentals.

Personal Accident Insurance

Travelers will not be reimbursed for personal accident insurance since it is a duplication of the University’s Business Travel Accident Insurance.

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance is normally provided as a part of the rental agreement at no additional cost. The University also maintains insurance to supplement that provided by the rental car company, when the rental is business related. Accordingly, travelers must report all accidents as soon as possible to the Risk Management Department (773) 702-1951.